The Cerreto pass (1,261 m) separates Tuscany from Emilia and in particular the city of Massa from that of Reggio Emilia.
The pass is located within the National Park of the Tuscan-Emilian Apennines.
In the 18th century it was also called the ducal road or the ducal road of Lunigiana. It was an irregular Apennine route of ancient origin, whose definitive settlement began only in the eighteenth century. In 1831 the road was largely finished.